Once in the studio where I work we needed a script that converts Solid Layers (helpers from 3Ds Max) to Null Objects for Trapcode Particular. Unfortunately we didn’t find anything like that in the Internet. I decided to learn how to write scripts to make this tool. From motion designer who loves Expressions I became a script writer. That escalated quickly. ; )
In the process of writing I improved this script and added the ability to automatically converts selected layers also to Point Lights. Minimalist design makes use of the script as simple as possible. Just one click is needed.
In a nutshell:
• Works with all types of layers.
• Converts multiple layers at once.
• Works with 2D and 3D layers.
• Copies every type of keyframe.
• Converts selected layers to Null objects or Point Lights.
• Copies rotation, position and orientation (from 3D layer) of selected layers.
• Changes Light’s name to „Emitter #(index number)”.
• Brings back the layer order.
Point Lights are prepared for Trapcode Particular. Each Light’s name will be changed to „Emitter” with a suffix from the index number.
Script is also perfect for Plexus. You can replace every type of a layer to Null Object or Light for adding a geometry.