Layout Grid is a free preset for After Effects that allows you to generate and customize grid systems. Custom effect inspired by grid panel in Figma software will help you create perfect grids, just like in your favorite interface design tool.
We rise by lifting others
The Layout Grid preset is available for free. Just type $0 in the input field. However, if you’d like to show your appreciation, share this tool on your social media instead of buying me a virtual coffee. Together we build the motion designer’s community.
How to install
- Download the Layout Grid preset ZIP file
- Extract it
- Copy/paste Bartlomiej Otlowski folder* to:
- Windows: Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects\Support Files\Presets
- macOS: Applications/Adobe After Effects/Presets
- Refresh List in the Effects & Presets panel or restart your After Effects.
- Before you use this preset check if you have JavaScipt enabled
*If you already have a Bartlomiej Otlowski folder, you can merge it or paste the preset inside this folder.
How to use Layout Grid
You can find the Layout Grid preset in the Effects & Presets panel. Type “Layout Grid” in the search bar or twirl down the *Animation Presets menu. Don’t drag or apply the preset to existing layers. Just double-click on the name and a new shape layer will be created.
- Type ‘Layout Grid’ in the search bar of the Effects & Presets window
- Double-click the Layout Grid name
- Adjust settings
You can set up your grid in the Effects Controls panel. There are two types of grids in this preset: column, and row. Each of them has two modes: Center and Stretch.
- Type: type of the Grid.
- Count: number of units of Columns or Rows in the Grid.
- Width/Height: width or height of each unit of Column or Row.
- Gutter: is the distance between each Column or Row.
- Margin: is the space between the edge of the composition and the Column or Row.
- Color: the color of the Grid
- Opacity: percentage of visibility of the Grid.
In Center mode you can set width/height of units and gutter. The margins will be set automatically.
In Stretch mode you can set margins and gutter. The width/height of units will be set automatically.
Layout Grid is based on Shape’s Repeater. At the moment, After Effects doesn’t recognize the edges of shapes created that way. If you would like to use snapping, add a guide line. Turn your rulers on by hitting CTRL + R / Command + R, then drag a guide from one of them.
- Initial release
Do you like this tool?
Tell me about your thoughts. I would love to hear your feedback.